The Songbird Cafe Recipes
There’s Always a Friend at the Songbird Cafe
Recipe for the Songbird Cupcake
by Alanna D’Arcy (with thanks to Annalie)
For the cupcakes (makes 12):
110g self-raising flour
110g caster sugar
2 tsp baking powder
For the icing:
220g icing sugar
Blue food colouring
1. Ask a parent or guardian to preheat the oven to 180C.
2. Place 12 paper cupcake cases on a tray.
3. Mix the sugar, flour and baking powder together.
Then add the butter and eggs.
4. Stir all of the ingredients together well until the mixture is pale and fluffy.
5. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases.
6. Ask a parent or guardian to put the tray of cases into the oven.
7. Bake cakes for around 15 minutes or until they are golden brown.
Ask a parent or guardian to help with this.
8. Once cooked, allow the cakes to cool.
9. To make the icing, whisk the butter and sugar together.
10. Add a couple of drops of blue colouring to the butter-sugar mix.
11. Ask a parent or guardian to help you cut a circle out of the top of each cake.
Fill this hole with icing.
12. Place the cut-out cake pieces on top of the icing to look like wings.
- Ask Amy Green
- Songbird Cafe Girls (2015/2016)
- Mollie – Notes for Teachers
- The Songbird Cafe Recipes
- My Other Books for Children
- School and Festival Visits
- Writing for Children – Tips
- Judi Curtin – Interview
- Brilliant Books for Children
- Celine Kiernan – Interview
- Jo Cotterill Interview (New)
- Oisín McGann Interview
- Writing Historical Fiction
- Deirdre Sullivan Interview